At the risk of irreverence, resurrection is one of the themes of this holiday weekend.
What better time, then to check some tribute bands who are resurrecting the vintage music of acts that are still active as well as those no longer with us. To wit:
• The Token Lounge in Westland rolls in the piano to host a The Best of Billy Joel & Elton John Tribute on Friday, April 7, with the Tom Petty tribute Petty Thieves opening. Doors at 7 p.m. 28949 Joy Road, Westland. 734-513-5030 or tokenlounge.com.
• The tribute bands the Four Horsemen (Metallica) and Generation Day (Godsmack) rock hard at the Diesel Concert Lounge on Friday, April 7, 33151 23 Mile Road, Chesterfield Township. Doors at 8 p.m. 586-933-3503 or dieselconcerts.com.
• Wheels of Fire pays tribute to Cream at 8:30 p.m. Friday, April 7, at the Cadieux Cafe, 4300 Cadieux Road, Detroit. 313-882-8560 or cadieuxcafe.com.
• Jump: America’s Van Halen Experience will rock the favorites at District 142 on Friday, April 7. 142 Maple St. Doors at 6 p.m. district142live.com.
Other music events of note this weekend (all subject to change) include:
FRIDAY, APRIL 7
• The Mississippi garage rock trio Bass Drum of Death pounds into the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave. Doors at 8 p.m. 258-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• The Kate Hinote trio plays a spring date at 7:30 p.m. at Edo Ramen, 4313 W. Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak. 248-556-5775 or edoramenhouse.com.
• LaShaun Phoenix More hosts “Poetry & Music: Worlds Collide” with Johdi and Miz Koronoa, Peace Bell, Ben Will, Justin Rogers, Kelly Brown, DJ Staceye J and others at 8 p.m. in The Cube at the Fisher Music Center, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• Detroit rapper Blaze Ya Dead Home is joined by ABK at Saint Andrew’s Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors at 10 p.m. 313-961-8961 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Toronto singer-songwriter Julian Taylor performs at 8 p.m. at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• The Magic Stick’s electronic music weekend starts with Black V Neck and more and continues Saturday, April 8 with a lineup topped by Deepfake, while Cass performs that night on the Alley Deck. 4120 Woodward Ave. Doors at 9 p.m. for all. 313-833-9700 or themajesticdetroit.com.
• Vocalist Eugenie Jones performs through Saturday, April 8, at the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe, 97 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe. 313-882-5399 or dirtydogjazz.com.
• Arty multi-instrumentalist Andrew Bird performs at 7:30 p.m. at the Michigan Theater, 603 E. Liberty Ave., Ann Arbor. Ted Poor opens. 734-668-8397 or michtheater.org.
• Brray brings a night of Reggaeton to the Crofoot Ballroom, 1 S. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Doors at 9 p.m. 248-858-9333 or thecrofoot.com.
• The Ferdy Mayne, Chris Bathgate, Remnose and Jeremy Waun offer a full night of tunes at the Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 7 p.m. 248-820-5596 or thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• Singer-songwriter Susan Werner and The Sea The Sea perform at 7 p.m. The Ark 316 S. Main St. 313-761-1818 or theark.org.
SATURDAY, APRIL 8
• Ma$3, Jadakiss, Youngbloodz, Freeway and Beanie Segel play a soulful Easter Weekend Extravaganza at 7 p.m. at the Fox Theatre, 2211 Woodward Ave., Detroit. 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Marauda brings his decks for a dance party at the Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Ave. Doors at 8 p.m. Jessica Audiffred and Executioner are also on the bill. 313-833-9700 or themajesticdetroit.com.
• The English Beat plays a sold-out show at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave. Doors at 8 p.m. 258-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• Known primarily for her songwriting, Los Angeles’ Jamie Drake takes the stage at 8 p.m. at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Los Nuevo’s Reyes Del Reggaeton brings the tropical hybrid sound to town at 10 p.m. at El Club, 4114 W. Vernor Highway, Detroit. 313-757-7942 or elclubdetroit.com.
• Animal celebrates its new album, “Dirty Business,” at the Loving Touch, V*A*S*E and Loud Thoughts at the Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 7 p.m. 248-820-5596 or thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• Vellows, Three Spoke Wheel and Rob Zinck & the Collaborators rock at 8:30 p.m. at the Cadieux Cafe, 4300 Cadieux Road, Detroit. 313-882-8560 or cadieuxcafe.com.
• Americana favorite Jackie Greene and Lilly Winwood (Steve’s daughter) perform at 8 p.m. at the Ark 316 S. Main St. 313-761-1818 or theark.org.